Next year we need to tackle a few large projects, mainly repointing the brick work on the front and back of the house. The weather has worn away the mortar in many spots leaving gaping holes which critters and water love to settle into. But ... that's next spring. This summer we needed a quick fix so Pete caulked some of the larger holes and I bought a fern. "Umm, how does a fern help the integrity of a property?" you may ask. Well, it doesn't. Not at all. But you know what? It looks awfully pretty. And sometimes when you can't afford a multi-thousand dollar repointing job you CAN afford a $20 fern.
That said, we decided to take on another quick-fix project before the end of summer. This is what the front of the house looked like when we bought it:
I already spent some time replacing the mailbox. And so next up was the door. Pete and I knew we wanted a screen that locked and that offered the dual function of glass and mesh. So we looked around and selected a model from Home Depot.
(We also got a custom door made, but I'll unveil those details with the living room renovation.)
The initial plan was to paint the exterior trim matte black, but with all the doom and gloom going on at the threshold already, I decided that the framing around the door needed to pop but still maintain an illusion of being traditional. Our new handyman, Bill, was nice enough to suggest a few colors from Benjamin Moore and I wound up choosing the Litchfield Gray (a color closer to putty than a soot).